I think I’ve finally approximated the exact recipe for successfully parenting a special needs child. Pay close attention. This is very, very important. This marks a new beginning in your parenting career.
Parenting A Child With Autism Recipe:
by Jessica the Wessica
Dash of ODD
Buckets of SPD
Touch of ADD
Heaps and mounds of ASD
Check for other alphabet soups
Mishmosh of related neurological health concerns
Sploosh of gut related health concerns
Typical age-related girl drama
Typical sibling-related drama
Special needs related sibling drama
- Stir all Child’s Ingredients gently, with great care.
- Move on to Adult’s Ingredients.
Dash of parental self-esteem issues
Buckets of hope
Heaps and mounds of optimism
Sploosh of parental guilt
Therapy & counseling
Mishmosh of conflicting research and education on
Oceans of flying by the “seat of your pants” and “winging it”
- Stir all Adult’s Ingredients vigorously and with humor.
- Blend gently, but firmly, with Child’s Ingredients.
- Don’t forget to decorate with smiles, praise, positive reinforcement, remembering the joys, and enjoying the quiet moments whenever they come.
- Don’t forget that you’re not alone and it’s all right to vent, and you don’t have to be appreciative every single day.
- Remove perfection from your ingredient list just in case it slipped in. There is no such thing.
Recipe can be made as often as needed. Serve liberal helpings.
Note* Yes, these are ACTUAL units of measurement so deal with it. That’s how life doles it out. Non-specific units of measurement. 🙂